Subject:   RE: home work
Author: ChristieWuebbles
Date: Oct 9 2006
I don't like to "check" homework, because I understand that a select few don't
need it.  However, if I don't atleast check to see if a student has attempted
it, everyone will classify themself as one of the select few.  So I have a
middle ground.  I check homework about 2 times a week.  (It's unannounced.  Sort
of like a pop homework check.)  This gives me an idea of a student's homework
habits.  I count it as a small portion of their grade (not more than 10%)
because that's the motivation for most of my students.  I'll point out patterns
to individuals as needed, but for the most part, I let them make their choice,
whatever it may be.  Then after the grading period, I create a scatterplot of
averages vs. homework.  We then talk about what the data represents and have a
good review of other math topics.  At the end, I offer a suggestion for those
who would like to improve their average - Do more homework!  I hate to stand
over them to say this, but I'd rather it be a revelation that homework it
important.  For most, this scatter plot works.  (Of course a few catch on that
if homework it weighted into the average, it will have some affect on the

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help