Subject:   RE: home work
Author: Herb G
Date: Oct 24 2006
See my response to game inside of your post below:

On Oct 21 2006, John Mac wrote:
> I teach remedial math, and I am looking for ways to get students to
> do homework.

We all see how skilled students are at video games!!
> They seem to enjoy them!

We all wonder if there is some video
> game that could be invented that teaches the players math skills.
> However, the skills that are needed to play these games are really
> just primitive motor skills.  (Get an object to the proper place and
> do the right thing).

Check out "Green Globs" from Sunburst we used on Apple II. Has it been updated
for Mac and PC?
Students get points for writing equations to intersect with the maximum number
of points highlighted on a coordinate grid. Great challenge and you can use
quadratic equations to earn points (pun intended).

-Herb

Personally, I do not see how a skill like
> solving a quadratic equation could be made directly into a game.
> However, I do see how the game could be like "Who Wants to be a
> Millionaire" where the correct answer moves the player closer to a
> goal (like owning more money).

Do any of you think that this is
> possible, or would get the students attention.

The basic "I
> walked to school barefoot in the snow and so can you" idea about
> homework is not working.

John Mac

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Computer
Tools

Discussion Help