Subject:   RE: BOMDAS and PEMDAS
Author: db
Date: Mar 29 2007
Oh Golly guys, please, please stop using Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

When I get these kids in high school math, I need to update the "parentheses" to
grouping symbols.  My lower level learners have a hard time expanding the idea
of parentheses to include symbols that look nothing like them.  Grouping symbols
such as square roots and absolute value create double duty for my teaching when
excluded from other grouping symbols like,  "parentheses."

I try to re-teach PEMDAS to GEMDAS:  Girls Enjoy Mall Discounts And Sales.
Please!??

db

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion for Patterns and sequences discussion
Visit related discussions:
Patterns and sequences

Discussion Help