Subject:   RE: New Teaching Techniques in Algebra
Author: www.iestimate.co.uk
Date: Apr 11 2007
Arden,

Sometimes keeping the students attention is all about getting them involved.

Here is an example to measure the speed of an object: students enjoy throwing
things around. Let one stand at one end of the room and one at the other. They
can measure how far apart they are and then get someone else to time how long it
takes for the object (ball, roled up paper, etc) to reach the other person. They
can then have a competition to see who can throw the fastest. This will require
them all to get involved with working out speed using the simple algebra.

I am not sure at what level of Algebra you are at, but I am sure that you will
be able to find some way of getting them involved.

Good luck.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Algebra