Subject:   RE: Does step size really equal speed?
Author: She
Date: Apr 20 2007
The key to running is length of stride and frequency.  In reality, runner A
could take 30 steps per minute and runner B could take 60 steps per minute but
runner A (with very long legs) could have a stride length that is twice that of
short-legged runner B and thus they would end up at the same place at the end
of 1 minute.  There are a lot of variables to account for here once you also
take into account the distance run and how many of the 1 minute intervals were
run. As stated in other posts, the applet simplifies this considerably by taking
out the variable of frequency.

When I first looked at this applet, I took it at face value and answered the
questions.  I applaud the critical thinkers who looked at this at a higher
level.  It is a skill all of our students can benefit from.

Sheila
workshop 2 participant

yes  no
Visit related discussions: