Subject:   RE: Does step size really equal speed?
Author: ihor
Date: Apr 22 2007
On Apr 20 2007, Sheila wrote:

>When I
> first looked at this applet, I took it at face value and answered
> the questions.

I think that was a good idea that you did. A lot of mathematics is about precise
definitions that may or may not relate to the real world.

> I applaud the critical thinkers who looked at this
> at a higher level.  It is a skill all of our students can benefit
> from.

That's true. But there is a downside to this as well. The problem already is a
difficult one for most middle school students. Trying to analyze it from a real
world perspective adds complexity that may be counter productive. I had fun
thinking about the ramifications of exploring the vagaries of step size, speed
and time of various sized students, but I don't think I would do it as part of
this particular lesson. What do others think?

-Ihor

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help