Subject:   RE: Does step size really equal speed?
Author: Craig
Date: Apr 22 2007
On Apr 22 2007, ihor wrote:
... there is a downside to this as well. The
> problem already is a difficult one for most middle school students.
> Trying to analyze it from a real world perspective adds complexity
> that may be counter productive. I had fun thinking about the
> ramifications of exploring the vagaries of step size, speed and time
> of various sized students, but I don't think I would do it as part
> of this particular lesson. What do others think?

The additional complexity of thinking about how step size and step rate relate
to speed might be just the sort of question with which you can differentiate
instruction.  It may be over the heads of many students, but there may be some
for whom this is an entirely appropriate endeavor.  Bottom line:  you know your
students, and you adapt the lesson to maximize benefit to each.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help