Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: autumdove
Date: Jun 29 2007
Your illustrations of Saxon "not working” simply seem to indicate to me that
teachers/students/parents are not willing to do the work necessary to truly
learn mathematics.  Apparently they would rather "roll with the flow" even if
what they "learn" is only for long enough to take a test and get a passing
grade.

As far as the students that I mentioned dropping out of math classes, the
students I was referring to were students who had exceptionally good grades in
mathematics in high school such that they were attending college with the intent
of being secondary math education teachers.  However, when they got to college
they found that they could not pass the math classes with acceptable grades.
The problem was two-fold.  The first being that the math they did in high
school was not taught in a manner to promote long-term retention (except for
possibly natural born mathematicians), and second, the textbooks used in college
focused too much of reinventing mathematics and/or testing for in-depth
comprehension of mathematical concepts of information that had just been taught.
Obviously, unless you happened to be one of the few people who are natural born
mathematicians or have a lot of grit and determination (or possibly learned
Saxon math...) students usually are not successful at the college level.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Algebra

Discussion Help