Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: Craig
Date: Jul 3 2007
On Jul  1 2007, hardy wrote:
> .........I am new to
> teaching high school students since I was formerly a college math
> instructor. I have a hard time coming up with fun class activities
> for topics like functions. please help.

One place to start would be the "search" feature in MathTools.  You will find
technology-based activities appropriate for many different levels.  Search the
catalog for functions; you can click on "type" to get activities at the top of
the listing.

Math Connections Book 1B (unit 6) has an EXCELLENT development of functions; it
may have (or spark!) ideas for activities that would work with your
students.

One activity I use with advanced students involves a topographic map--I guide
them with several questions to help them see non-formulaic functions
(including functions with multi-variable input).  A favorite test question I
use with Algebra 2 involves a table of wind chill factors... this is a
multi-variable relation, and students have to interpret the table and discuss
whether it does or doesn't represent a function, and whatever their argument,
they must describe domain and range that support their answer.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Algebra

Discussion Help