Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: autumdove
Date: Jul 6 2007
1.  A
> quote from John Saxon's literature: "Do not try to teach your
> students to think.  Practice, practice, practice.  Eventually they
> will get it."  I couldn't disagree more.  I have two passions, which
> drive all of my work.  The first is, I must make sure students
> understand "why" the mathematics is what it is.  Not just why we
> "do" it the way we do, but why it even makes sense to CONSIDER doing
> it that way.

4.  As "certified" mathematics teachers, we have the
> potential of being some of the most arrogant teachers in education.
> We "know" a subject with which many people have trouble.  And we
> don't often let you forget that.  When a math teacher looks at my
> material (this actually happened) and says that it has the most
> detailed conceptual explanations she has ever seen, and the most
> vivid graphics clarifying the concept, and then says, "There's no
> way I would use this in my classroom", that pretty much makes the
> case.  The follow-up was, "I will never use anything in my classroom
> that can do a better job than I can."  Case closed.

  I have to totally disagree with you on point #1 - the "WHY" is exacely what
Saxon student learn.  This I know, because I experienced it myself;  my blood
boiled over and over again all throught the years that we studied Saxon math
when I realized over and over again the why of so many concepts that I never
learned in school;  without that understanding, math just doesn't work!

As for point #4, I couldn't agree with you more!  :-)

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Algebra

Discussion Help