Subject:   RE: From physical to abstraction
Author: Mathman
Date: Aug 23 2007
On Aug 23 2007, Murphey2104 wrote:
> Moving from physical to abstract is so hard for some
> kids.

I'm not trying to be the fly in the ointment here, but, surely, there will
always be some.  Some will become physicists, and some will not.  There WILL
come a time, either sooner or later, when they will go their diverse ways due to
differing capabilities and interests.  One will not be a physicist, but will
become a famous artist? ...something perhaps beyond the physicist?

We might always look for better ways to accomplish this task, and interactive
graphical models is one.  However, we should no expect to be able to reach all,
some never.  I agree fully and adamantly with the concept of tying together
theory and practice, with practical examples whenever possible.  However, in
most cases theory must outstrip practice by its own concept.  It is the study of
some concept in and of itself.  It might start from the practical and then
develop beyond that.  That does not make it unworthy to exist as is.  In fact,
it often leads to better understanding and new development.  There are numbers
since there was a need to count sheep and then figure cost in trade.  There is
number theory because there are numbers.

In the "real world", students will meet data and graphs, and will need the
experience dealing with them *without* a need to resort to additional help, or
rely on crutches.  It might be difficult, but the struggle is worth it.
Sometimes it is not helpful, nor possible to make it easy.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help