Subject:   RE: Time Table Grid
Author: ajax75
Date: Nov 9 2007
On Oct 25 2007, iamtim wrote:
> I have a time table related issue that I could use some input from
> yourself and any other teachers who teach at the same grade level.
> I've been working on making some slide-rules for a couple of my
> grandkids who are getting into multiplication this year. Some may
> think that slide rules are just for higher-education, but I think
> they are a great way to learn the multiplication tables as well as
> the relationship between numbes in general. I also think a kid
> learns well when using the hands along with the visual process,
> which is something the slide rule provides an opportunity for. Below
> is a link that show some of the ones I've made:
> http://2timv.com/misc/SlideRuleBasic.jpg
> http://2timv.com/misc/SlideRuleMore.jpg

I don't have it in the
> links, but I'll first give them a very basic rule that just adds and
> subtracts, just so they can get a feel for the sliding rules.

> would greatly appreciate input on the subject.

My grandkids are
> in the midwest and I'm on the east coast but will be going to visit
> them in early december at which time I was planning on introducing
> them to the slide rules. One of the kids is very interested in math
> and the other just so-so.

Thank you,
Tim

Tim,

As a "non-math" person that does quite a bit with technology, I "got" the
basic slide rule jpg, but did not understand the advanced. Descripters and
zooming in more (perhaps scanning into an adobe pdf) might help.

Yours,

Ajax

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Times Tables discussion
Visit related discussions:
Times Tables tool

Discussion Help