Subject:   RE: BOMDAS and PEMDAS
Author: Ms. M
Date: Nov 18 2007
I cause quite a scandal every year when I draw a gravestone on the board for
Aunt Sally.  She's gone, get over it.

Providing one counterexample to this idiotic crutch is all I'm willing to do
now, and I send students on, after they learn order of operations, to spread the
word.
When they understand numbers and properties, they find a natural way of doing
complex problems and don't have to follow the Excuse (for teachers who aren't
committed or creative enough to teach this well and depend on the Dear AS).
In Algebra, especially, there are so many exeptions to this trick (and it is
surely not a rule).
I'm tired of unteaching what is taught poorly and without vision as to its
mathematical application above 5th grade.

Neither a parenthesis nor an exponent is an operation, anyway, and once
variables are introduced this memorization causes more frustration than
good.

Please Excuse Dear My Sally Aunt works just as well at a certain level, too.
How cutsie do we need to be?

So if you still "teach" with PEMDAS, please stop already.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion for Patterns and sequences discussion
Visit related discussions:
Patterns and sequences

Discussion Help