Subject:   RE: Demise of Green Globs
Author: Kstar
Date: Dec 29 2007
Hi All,
I came in really late to this discussion.
I've taught jr high students with Green Globs quite successfully years ago, then
have been teaching science. Now I'm back to math, and have sadly discovered no
Green Globs on our school computers!
Being a star trek fan, I always told my students the green globs were enemy
Romulan ships (since Romulans have green blood, having evolved with copper in
the hemoglobin rather than iron, which oxidizes green rather than red).
The students were the phaser crew targeting the starship Enterprise's phaser
array. The ship was losing power due to a "coolant leak" (nice
generic-sounding problem) and could only send a minimum number of shots. Could
they win the battle and survive to save the Federation?

Honestly, I've never seen my classes more motivated. What would have made it
even better is if I could have enabled some option that created loud explosions
and nice fireballs (of a variety of types, not the same one every time) on
screen for every green glob that was graphed. Thirteen-year-olds will do
anything for an explosion, even calculate slopes.

If any developers or programmers are listening, please let me know if you do
this.
Thanks,
Kim
kmiller@sbsdk12.org