Subject:   RE: Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software
Author: gemlim
Date: Jan 24 2008
I used this acitivity as a reinforcement after I teach the concepts on slopes
and intercepts and the parameter changes that go with the lesson. Students must
understand that whatever they learn from school is a preparation for the bigger
world. We, as teachers, on the other hand must provide all the possible tools
and strategies to get them interested and be ready for the real world.  This
activity is a superb tool to  reinforce the concepts of slopes, y-intercepts,
parallels, perpendiculars, intersections,effects in the changes in parameters.
Students must be allowed to explore, discover, reflect and transcend from the
abstract to concrete. This activity
encourages the math-phobics to like math because they can relate to the two
runners. My ESL class were amazed yet was able to see the connection between the
paper-pencil grahings of lines to something that in simulation.  I only showed
this to them after we worked on graphing linear functions.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help