Subject:   RE: Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software
Author: Landy
Date: Jan 24 2008
On Jan 23 2008, cantsy wrote:
> I find these very interesting but find it difficult to
> see how to actually use it in the classroom.  Do you just throw it
> in here and there to show the concept?  or Do you spend a class
> period looking at a variety of aspects and allowing the students to
> discover these or direct them to it?  I'm looking for ways to apply
> more technology to the classroom to create interest and take the
> learning to a deeper level.

One thing you might do is take a look at a lecture on speed, distance, time,
velocity by a professor at MIT, Walter Lewin.  His freshman physics course is
available in video format at
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm

Take a look at lecture 2 and get some ideas about how to present the material
along with some examples.  He is obviously presenting at a higher lever, but his
approach of 1. setting up the problem, 1. deriving results, 3. calculating real
world examples, 4. showing an experiment seems to be very powerful.  It helps
that he has an interesting presentation style.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help