Subject:   RE: Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software
Author: karen6
Date: Jan 27 2008
Re: whether students will use trial and error, or use mathematical principles to
make predictions - I think both these things will occur.  More sophisticated
students will start by reasoning and then check their work by setting the
parameters.  More concrete students will play with the parameters until they get
it right.  HOpefully they will be intrigued enough to make careful observations
and draw conclusions as they play.  Certainly the motivation will be there to
answer the question, and the immediate feedback practically guarantees success.
I envision lots of mathematical discourse as students get excited about their
discoveries.
On Jan 27 2008, gnarly_buttons wrote:
> On May 25 2007, DebbieBau wrote:
> I agree.  Plus this tool allows
> for several questions like:
1)
> When can the two graphs be
> parallel?
2)  When can the two graphs
> start from the same point?
> 3)  Set up parameters in the applet to
> show the situation where
> the girl and boy start at the house, run in
> the same direction,
> but the girl finishes 20 seconds ahead of the
> boy.

(Just some
> ideas!)

When a student tries question 3, do you think they will
> just do trial and error, or will they actually try to use some
> mathematical principles?

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help