Subject:   RE: special education
Author: Brett S Taylor
Date: Sep 19 2008
Hi Jill,
Just a thought, but the way we teach adults (16 up) interested in getting a GED
might work.

We give an initial assessment (we use TABE test) and then customize a
prescription based on their results.  That way they don't waste time on things
they know but start sequentially at the concepts and methods they don't know and
build on that. We use both books and software.  The prescriptions are keyed to
specific questions missed on the TABE.  When they have finished their
prescription, we retest them.  This process continues untill they are ready to
take the GED Official Practice Test with us, if they pass that, they sign up for
the GED test.

Brett taylor@pscb.org
http://www.geocities.com/multiplicationfacts

On Sep 19 2008, JIllD wrote:
> I am a special education math resource teacher for grades the middle
> grades.  I am having difficulty making lessons to meet the needs of
> all students.  I am supposed to follow the grade level curriculum,
> but I have students that cannot read or count backwards from ten.  I
> am in a brand new school and most of my materials have not even come
> in yet.  Right now I am working on getting the classroom set up in
> stations and getting a baseline for each student.  Stations are
> difficult because it seems like I am needed everywhere!  How do
> resource math teachers teach the grade level standards (students
> take grade level common assessments and state tests of course) and
> IEP goals?
Do you know of any modified texts that meet grade
> level expectations?  Any suggestions?

yes  no

Discussion Help