Subject:   RE: A variety of uses
Author: chamada
Date: Jan 20 2009
This tool will do all of those things that you say very well (and it can
probably do more if we think hard enough!). But, I think the real power of this
tool comes from the fact that it puts y = mx + b into a context that the
students can understand. I can make the exact same graphs on numerous other
technologies (my TI-84, online graphing calculators, there's even one for the
iPhone!). The simple fact that it uses icons to represent the runners or that it
refers to the starting point rather than y-intercept allows the students to
make a connection. It is then easier to make that leap to abstract notation
(algebra) rather than to start straight into it. Not only are we teaching the
content, but we are also make further content accessible.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help