Subject:   RE: A variety of uses
Author: ShowYourWork
Date: May 3 2009
On Jan 20 2009, chamada wrote:
> This tool will do all of those things that you say very well (and it
> can probably do more if we think hard enough!). But, I think the
> real power of this tool comes from the fact that it puts y = mx + b
> into a context that the students can understand. I can make the
> exact same graphs on numerous other technologies (my TI-84, online
> graphing calculators, there's even one for the iPhone!). The simple
> fact that it uses icons to represent the runners or that it refers
> to the starting point rather than y-intercept allows the students to
> make a connection. It is then easier to make that leap to abstract
> notation (algebra) rather than to start straight into it. Not only
> are we teaching the content, but we are also make further content
> accessible.

I believe it supplies the previous knowledge in a somewhat real life situation
htat would help students make the change from concrete to the abstract. This is
where many students have a problem. Their brains aren't developed enough to
start with the abstract.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help