Subject:   RE: A variety of uses
Author: ShowYourWork
Date: May 3 2009
On Apr 28 2009, ALeG wrote:
> On Jan 20 2009, chamada wrote:
> This tool will do all of those
> things that you say very well (and it
> can probably do more if we
> think hard enough!). But, I think the
> real power of this tool
> comes from the fact that it puts y = mx + b
> into a context that
> the students can understand. I can make the
> exact same graphs on
> numerous other technologies (my TI-84, online
> graphing
> calculators, there's even one for the iPhone!). The simple
> fact
> that it uses icons to represent the runners or that it refers
> the starting point rather than y-intercept allows the students to
>
> make a connection. It is then easier to make that leap to abstract
> > notation (algebra) rather than to start straight into it. Not only
> > are we teaching the content, but we are also make further content
> > accessible.

I like the notion of putting y = mx + b in
> context.  Coicidentally we will be doing the equation of a line next
> week in prealgebra.  My kids are ninth grade, but the fact thay they
> are still in prealg at this point means they really need a lot of
> visual help and I need to be as concrete as possible.  I think this
> will help.

I couldn't agree more. Some student's brains make the switch from concrete to
abstract later in their school life. They get discouraged and give up. Any
activity that helps them be successsful, think and gives them some control of
their own learning is worth a try. Another tool in the teacher's tool box.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help