Subject:   RE: A variety of uses
Author: rossisencoca
Date: May 19 2009
The CLIPS project ( www.oame.on.ca/clips ) has just put out a "Representations of
Linear Growing Patterns" cluster of flash-based learning activities.  They
lead students from concrete representations of patterns to graphs and rules and
eventually to y=mx+b (though that is not too explicit).  An open-ended
exploration tool can be found at
http://www.oame.on.ca/clips/lib/CL004_LinearGrowingPatterns/CL004_Resources/CL004_DiffReps.swf
(be patient - it takes a bit of time to load).  There are instructions in the
menu if you are not sure how to use it.  The story representation allows for
contexts that are more broad than counting the number of tiles in a pattern.

I like the notion of putting y = mx + b in
> context.  Coicidentally we will be doing the equation of a line next
> week in prealgebra.  My kids are ninth grade, but the fact thay they
> are still in prealg at this point means they really need a lot of
> visual help and I need to be as concrete as possible.  I think this
> will help.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help