Subject:   RE: keeping students engaged
Author: ssc
Date: Jun 22 2009
On Jun 22 2009, iteach225 wrote:
> I strongly agree that just reading a graph is not enough for our
> students.  Making it their own creates so many more learning
> moments.  However, in our ever growing world, I do believe that
> having our students be able to read and interpret graphes that we
> find in our newspapers, explaining the very world that our students
> live in, is  crucial.  With adequate preparation by teachers and
> students, newspapers and websites like USA TODAY.com provide lessons
> with information our students can share at home.
Equally important
> is providing our students with opportunities to create their own
> graphs using graph paper and information.  The information may be
> collected from the CENSUS BUREAU facts or an activity in the
> classroom dealing with the number of bounces a ball gets in one
> minute!!
Simulation software is great...asking the students to
> gather and create their own encourages teamwork and total engagement
> by our students!!
This is a good idea but can be taken too far. Students should be able to read
graphs after a few hours of instruction, since most graphs use the cartesian
coordinate system. After that continued emphasis on graphs is just a make work
project for the students,

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help