Subject:   RE: Using WolfrmaAlpha in the Classroom
Author: rfantster
Date: Dec 1 2009
I just received an email from an interested party and his reply suggested that
my concept is not very clear.  So, here's another attempt:

What I have in mind is that the teacher goes through the following steps.

   1. Submit a query to WolframAlpha (within your topic)
   2. Observe the data that WA gives you
   3. Write more, in-depth questions based on the data (in Step 2)
   4. Write (or submit) the WA query and the advanced questions onto the wiki
for other teachers to use with their students

There are a couple of ways that a teacher may add this information to the
website:

   1. Edit the wiki (in the proper category) yourself
   2. Fill out the form
( http://robertfant.com/PMWiki/index.php?n=WAlpha/Participate ), and I will write
it into the wiki

Example:   Let's say I tell the students to submit the following to WA:   24
divided by 7/8

Now, I want the students to respond to the following, additional questions:

   1. What is the answer?
   2. Type "24/(7/8)" into WA. Is this the same answer as the previous question?
Why or why not?
   3. Type "24/7/8" into WA. Is this the same answer as the previous question?
Why or why not?
   4. Type "(24/7)/8" into WA. Is this the same answer as the previous question?
Why or why not?

The point of this exercise is to offer questions that force the students to A)
Think on a deeper level about our topic and, 2) Learn about WA, a valuable
resource.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.
If not, please don't hesitate to write back.

Best regards,

Robert

yes  no

Discussion Help