Subject:   RE: Algebra
Author: wiredwullff
Date: Aug 19 2010

On Aug 14 2010, KLH wrote:
> > I am teaching Algebra I and Algebra II for the first time in about
> > twelve years.  We need to use projects to teach the topics as much
> > as possible.  I am teaching at a poor, inner city school.
> > ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
HI , I guess this was emailed to me as you want input- when I was in grade 2or3
the teacher in a speacial program to show algebra could be taught at that level
had us solve very simple equations like 2+Y=4 ,Y BECAME THE "MYSTERY NUMBER" and
it was presented like a game. then she worked up to 2+Y-1=4 , a "quadradic"
equation[sorry about spelling].I think algebra can express so many levels of
mathmatical ideas there is so much to choose from. I would think easy questions
and keeping it simple would keep it from being something taking up all the
student's time [homework] and keep it fun. If it's too hard they might be
tempted to drop it to keep thier grades up{grading has changed so much I don't
know what's up} i am not a teacher. i always liked seeing things visualized and
solving a simple measurement problem like the how high a tree is is fun as you
can go out and do it. you could say this problem involves
algebra,trignometery,geometry, and the decimal system or fractions depending on
how it was presented. how do you measure it without actually placing measuring
tape and climbing it? If you know the distance from a spot to the base of the
tree and a rangefinder can be used or sextant to find the distance from that
spot to the top. call the angle from the base to the top a right angle[more or
less-accepting the distance which calls up calculus]the length can then be
determined  from the base to the top and is the "mystery number" in algebra and
you can use this problem to help explain the definitions of higher math with a
visual physical and practical application-It's how we first figured the
distance to the moon before reflected light rays and it is or was used quite a
bit -you can do without the sextant and do a rough measurement with a stick
and string to sight the top from the spot away from the base to give a angle
[you have that angle,walk from the base using one foot in front of the other and
the right angle to give a acceptable answer[you could check by picking a tree
you could actully climb or use a safe spot like a spot on a second story you
could drop a tape measure from-to see how close you came and you could explain
in the physical world you can only figure so close anyway[not down to the
atom]you have to only figure what is acceptable [what got us to the moon had to
be figured with only so much error]. whew I hope you found something here or it
stimulated some thought.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help