Subject:   RE: Left Right Translation of Functions
Author: The Non-Whistler
Date: Nov 29 2004
What I try do is to ask "What is the solution to f(x)=0. For example, why is
f(x)=(x-2)^2 a shift to the RIGHT of 2 in the x-direction of f(x)=x^2. Well,
solving (x-2)^2=0 gives x=2, so it has to be to the right. Support this with
the graphs.

Hope this helps.

On Nov 27 2004, Susan wrote:
> Most students have no problems understanding a real world
> application that shows a vertical shift in a function.  For example,
> if students are asked to think of a graph of the path of a ball
> ball that is thrown from a person holding it at waist level, and
> then another graph that shows the same throw from a person that is
> standing on a ladder throwing it from waist level, they can easily
> see that the vertical translation makes sense.  What is so much
> harder to explain is the horizontal shift.  I have only seen it
> explained through a real world example in one text.  All the
> students "know" that you shift it to the left/right according to the
> number in the parenthesis, but I don't think they understand why it
> is the opposite of the number, or how it would relate to a real
> world situation.  Does anyone have a good way to explain this?

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra II discussion

Discussion Help