Subject:   RE: Formulas
Author: jazy
Date: Apr 6 2005
David, I am one of those students who knows to invert and multiply when when
working with a problem that deals with the division of a fraction.  Could you
please explain the principle on which this is based on.
Thank  you,
Ingrid
On Mar 14 2005, Mathman wrote:
> On Mar 14 2005, Mathman wrote:
>I do not advocate transposition
>
> alone, but as an end result.  The fundamental properties give the
>
> reason for being able to do it that much more efficient way.  It
>
> does require training and efort, but it pays off big time in the
>
> long run.

To push the point, consider the process of division by
> a fraction.  The underlying principle is equivalent fractions, but
> the 'process' is to "invert and multiply".  That is purely
> mechanical, but based upon a firm principle which is not written out
> in full.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Math 6 discussion

Discussion Help