Subject:   What is a binomial?
Author: Eric Goolish
Date: Apr 29 2005
Recently, I had a 60 minute discussion with fellow high school teachers about
what is a binomial?

The resources I have suggest a binomial is a polynomial, therefore it is the sum
of monomials, specially two monomials.  However, there is no discussion of
simplified form.

So playing devil's advocate, is 5 + 2 a binomial?  I don't think so because it
can be simplifed to 7, which is a monomial.

However, one textbook I use for class suggests that (a sqrt b) + (c sqrt d) is a
binomial.  Specifically, they say BINOMIALS of the form (a sqrt b) + (c sqrt d)
and (a sqrt b) - (c sqrt d) are conjugates.

Personally, I feel these can be called binomials because there are two terms
when simplied.  For instance, sqrt 2 + sqrt 3 (Binomial).

However, it can also be suggested that sqrt 2 + sqrt 3 is just one entity, one
number, so is it a monomial?  Perhaps, (sqrt 2 + sqrt 3)x^0 - representing the
degree of 0, thus a constant, thus a monomial?

What does everyone think about this?  The more I dig into these math ideas, the
more I think there is much confussion in our notation and terminology.  How can
1 + 1/2 be written as 1 1/2 (one and a half) with no addition sign, but now if
we have 2 + sqrt 3, we cannot put them together and write 2 sqrt 3 because that
would mean multiplication.  I think there is much confusion here and we should
not be surprised when students 'don't get it.'

What does everyone think???

Eric Goolish (Curie Metro High Student Teacher)

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans in Algebra discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra
Lesson Plans

Discussion Help