Subject:   RE: Demise of Green Globs
Author: Alan Cooper
Date: Aug 4 2005
Thanks Ihor,
  Sorry for the delay in replying, but yesterday was the first time I've had a
chance to spend an afternoon on it. My first run is at
http://www.langara.bc.ca/~acooper/mathlets/meanies
It's a bit rough as yet, but I thought I should post something before the topic
gets stale. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
   Alan

P.S. In response to some of the reservations that have been expressed about
slider-based versions, I do feel that these are useful for at least a couple
of reasons. One is for the utility of kinesthetic experience as an alternative
source of concept reinforcement, another is because trial-and-error
adjustment of parameters may lead students to 'discover' in a more memorable way
the basic facts that they may already have been told. Also, I think that playing
with the sliders probably leads quickly to an appreciation of the computational
strategy of first getting the slope before considering the intercept.

On Jul 26 2005, ihor wrote:
> Wow! That sounds great. Let me know how I can support your effort.
> -Ihor
>
> On July 25, Alan wrote:
>> I have often considered
>> adapting a version of my
>> 'GraphExplorer' applet to make a GreenGlobs
>> clone. If they are no
>> longer interested in maintaining it, then
>> maybe now is the time.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools discussion

Discussion Help