Subject:   RE: Intigration
Author: Mathman
Date: Apr 26 2006
On Apr 25 2006, natty wrote:
I would like to know which kind of tech that I have to use in
> order to intigrate the the following equation:

e^(-8*x) / (
> (x^3)*(4*x + 1) )

I thought I'd see if anyone took a shot first.  In any event, this sort of
unresolvable problem is, or used to be common in some internet newsgroups.  It
is neither textbook nor of a physical nature, but is devised.  Any number of
such problems can be devised by mixing functions in various ways.  There is no
analytic solution.  There may be a graphical or numerical approximation to the
definite integral, but there is no straightforward workout.

Consider simplifying this for a connection:

1/x^3 - 4/x^2 + 16/x - 64/(4x+1)

Each term is associated with the exponential as the differential portion of the
integral.

Each has a unique form of solution, even if associated with dx, but when
associated with e^(-8x) it's simply a can of worms that even the symbolic
algebra programs kick out.  Perhaps Mathematica has a solution.  I don't have
access to that.

Good luck.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Activities in Calculus on Computer Algebra System discussion
Visit related discussions:
Calculus
Computer Algebra System
Activities