Subject:   RE: home work
Author: markovchaney
Date: Oct 6 2006
On Oct  6 2006, Mathman wrote:
> On Oct  5 2006, markovchaney wrote:
> I know that kids will
>
> sometimes thank us for kicking them in the tail. Then again, some
>
> kidnap victims fall in love with their captors (is that "tough
>
> love"?)

Sorry, but I find your comments to be argumentative, and
> the above is simply irrational at best; way over the edge.

You mean the Stockholm Syndrome isn't true? Or you don't find it an appropriate
metaphor for this situation? As for being argumentative, I guess that's kind of
the nature of expressing beliefs and trying to push a viewpoint. Are you
suggesting that your posts aren't doing either? Or are they pure
objectivity?

 If some
> student somewhere decides whether or not to do homework, let that be
> his/her decision. I have seen success after success after success,
> and spoke here of success.  The young lady I mentioned, for example,
> was inspired to study further, especially with extra coaching along
> the way, and is now a successful, and happy teacher of high school
> mathematics in her own right.  I'm done here.

And probably someone who shares much of her teaching style with your own. And
that's my concern, given that I deeply disagree with many of your commets on
this topic and with the overall philosophy of teaching mathematics I have seen
reflected in your comments on this list. If it's okay for you to present that
viewpoint, I think it's reasonable for me or anyone who takes issue with it to
challenge and express disagreement with any or all parts of it.

Of course, if I'm misrepresenting your viewpoint, I would welcome being
corrected. But the things you chose to leave out of your reply seem telling: you
were the one, after all, who introduced words like "tough love" and "suffer the
consequences" into this thread, not I. That now you are omitting them and
focusing on my "over the top" metaphor suggests you realize that the "tough
love" philosophy isn't so easy to defend. And as I suggested in my own anecdote,
there are other approaches to inspiring student work that don't require carrots
or sticks, just respect for and nuturing of natural human curiosity.

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Computer