Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: db
Date: Jun 15 2007
I agree with Kenny that Discovering Algebra is a great text, so is the McDougal
Littell text.  As a professional, I would not choose Saxon.  However, for
do-it-yourselfers, with limited access to help, I would choose Saxon.  Yes,
it is just procedure.  My experience is that NO ONE reads the text and both Key
Curriculum Press (Discovering Algebra) and McDougal would require a mature
student willing the read the 2, 3 or more pages of each lesson.  Saxon has one
page with examples and lots of practice.  Learning algebra on your own is tough.
I am not a betting woman, but I would bet that less than 10% of students
learning algebra on their own with occassional guidance (as I understand the
situation) would read either Discovering Algebra or McDougal.

Please let me iterate, Discovering Algebra or McDougal would be my books of
choice if I were teaching a class.  Saxon would be my first choice, bar none, if
advising students learning on their own.

Respectfully, db

On Jun 15 2007, gerirose wrote:
> On Jun 14 2007, Kenny C wrote:
> I work in a high school
> continuation program, where students need to
> be able to learn as
> much as they can from their textbooks.  They can
> come in and get
> help, but it is not a teacher directed classroom
> situation.
> Please give me recommendations of what Algebra texts you
> feel
> would be most helpful for students in this situation.  Thanks!

If
> you want your students, even on their own, to learn more than
> procedure but also ways of thinking about algebra and mathematics, I
> recommend Discovering Algebra.  Although it may seem to be a non-
> traditional and need a little more help from you, your students will
> end up with a solid foundation with which to continue their studies,
> geri a-n

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help