Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: LFS
Date: Jun 18 2007
This thread has been a terrific exchange of ideas - I just joined this forum a
couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying the thinking!

I too don't like the glitz of the color textbooks- it is both expensive and I
don't think it aids in the communication - though I think that the authors (and
publishers) believe that it does.

I personally think that the best way to get the interactive classroom effect in
an asynchronous and distant environment is to use teacher and student mathcasts
- that is screencasts or audio-visual explanations about mathematics. Then
both the student can see and hear the process of the teacher's thinking and the
teacher can see and hear the process (or non-process) of the student's

Here are some links to

teacher mathcasts:
(single mathcast)

student mathcasts (algebra):

3rd grader mathcasts: (you have to watch the foxes!)

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help