Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: LFS
Date: Jun 18 2007
This thread has been a terrific exchange of ideas - I just joined this forum a
couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying the thinking!

I too don't like the glitz of the color textbooks- it is both expensive and I
don't think it aids in the communication - though I think that the authors (and
publishers) believe that it does.

I personally think that the best way to get the interactive classroom effect in
an asynchronous and distant environment is to use teacher and student mathcasts
- that is screencasts or audio-visual explanations about mathematics. Then
both the student can see and hear the process of the teacher's thinking and the
teacher can see and hear the process (or non-process) of the student's
thinking.

Here are some links to

teacher mathcasts: http://www.mathcasts.org/mc/4-7/percent_1/index.html
(single mathcast)
http://math247.jot.com/WikiHome/Library/Special/WASL/WASL%20-%20Practice/WASL%20Problems%20of%20the%20Day/WASL%20POD%20-%2010th%20Grade/WASL%20POD%20-%2010%20-%20Week%2011

student mathcasts (algebra): http://robertfant.com/AcademicOlympics/Proof.html

3rd grader mathcasts: (you have to watch the foxes!)
http://www.screencast.com/users/Mathcasts.org/collections/Mathcasts%20by%20Students/media/7246ddc5-c02e-448f-adfe-4c9dc056d446

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help