Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: autumdove
Date: Jun 25 2007
Like your first reply, I recommend Saxon math.  I was a homeschool teacher for
eight years (5th Ė 12th grades);  we started using Saxon math during the seventh
grade.  We used Saxon all the way through 12th grade.  My son went on the make a
score that was high enough on the ACT to give him credit for/exempt him from the
first math class that he was required to take in college.

Yes, Saxon is repetitive.  The result is that students actually have time to
develop an understanding of the mathematical concepts being covered.  Compare
that to most math books that teach one thing, move on to something else and then
on to another topic--those students never get a chance to develop
comprehension of what they are being taught.  With Saxon, my son never had to
study for the final exam--the lessons never let him forget what was taught!
He was also so prepared for college level classes that his first several math
classes didnít really cover much that he didnít already know.  We used all the
Saxon books up through Advanced Mathematics.

Not only did my son do the lesson, I did them as well.  Never in my life did I
think about going to college, but I have been doing so for several years now.  I
never took anything but basic math classes in high school, and that was so long
ago I don't remember any of it anyway.  Without Saxon, I could never have gone
to college and passes all my math classes with A's--pre-calculus, cal I, cal
II and Cal II as well as linear algebra.  So your other advisor came to late to
tell me that Saxon wouldn't prepare me (or my son) for college.  It was all the
public school students who used traditional textbooks that were dropping out of
math classes like flies.

In addition, all the Saxon books cover geometry as well.  Trigonometry is
introduced in Algebra 2.  The Advanced Mathematics book contains an in-depth
coverage of trigonometry, logarithms, and analytic geometry and upper-level
algebraic concepts.  Saxon also has a calculus book (which I am currently
working through as the college method and textbooks do not present the material
manner to facilitate long term retention and understanding) and there is an
excellent physics book a well.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help