Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: hypatiam
Date: Jun 29 2007
On Jun 14 2007, Kenny C wrote:
> I work in a high school continuation program, where students need to
> be able to learn as much as they can from their textbooks.  They can
> come in and get help, but it is not a teacher directed classroom
> situation.  Please give me recommendations of what Algebra texts you
> feel would be most helpful for students in this situation.  Thanks!

Getting back to the original question, I feel that if students are directing
their own learning most of the time, they need an easy to use resource with
plenty of no-nonsense examples, easy to use table of contents, and index.  The
McDougal Littell/Houghton Mifflin series (the algebra II authors are Brown,
Dolciani, Sorgenfrey, and Kane) has worked the best for me.  I've used it as an
extra resource to supplement use of the Discovering Advanced Algebra book since
it doesn't always give enough practice, enough examples, or definitions they can
refer back to.  I've also taught out of the Geometry book from that series and
had pretty good success - and had to use it as a reference to supplement
Discovering Geometry in a different school.

Students going back to school or doing a continuing education program need an
easier reference that is going to be more approachable, otherwise they're not
going to use it.  If they can pick it up and easily find what they need, things
are going to go much more smoothly, in my humble opinion.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help