Subject:   Curve of Best Fit for Car's Skidding Distance
Author: Jesdisciple
Date: Jan 8 2008
Chapter 8 in the Texas Drivers Handbook lists the distance a car will skid after
the breaks are applied as (MPH, feet):
(20, 19)
(30, 43)
(40, 76)
(50, 119)
(60, 171)
(70, 233)
Since this is obviously an observation of physics, I wonder what function of
speed TxDOT used to find these distances.  Using the tool at
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/flydata/index.html I've decided
that the closest I can get to these data is "f(x)=x^1.31-39".  But I know this
can't be the real function, because it should have a Y-intercept of 0, not
-39 (as it takes any object traveling at 0 MPH exactly 0 seconds to
"stop").

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?  Thanks!

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra II discussion

Discussion Help