Subject:   RE: Curve of Best Fit for Car's Skidding Distance
Author: LFS
Date: Feb 9 2008
I have to admit that I like all explanations to start from a common point so I
was rather confused by this thread. So I typed in Google: car brake formula
physics math and a Dr.Math page came up. (I love Dr.Math).
With this, I could understand what was going on and I wrote up my understanding
of this problem and why the formula talked about in the thread works, namely
s=u^2/21.
Here is a link to the pdf file (and the excel worksheet).
http://mathcasts.org/mathML/mathForum/physics/car_skid_mathforum_u.pdf
http://mathcasts.org/mathML/mathForum/physics/car_skid_mathforum_u.doc
http://mathcasts.org/mathML/mathForum/physics/car_skid_mathforum.xls

BTW - I think the corresponding formula for car speed in km/hr and skid length
in meters is s=u^2/177.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra II discussion

Discussion Help