Subject:   RE: Is a rhombus a kite?
Author: LFS
Date: Apr 21 2008
I have a question. I have a US education, but I live and teach in eastern Europe
and

As far as I have been able to tell - we don't talk about "kites" but rather
"deltoids" and a deltoid by definition is a quadrilateral with two pairs of
congruent adjacent sides (whether or not distinct depends on the book...).

My question: Does the "standard" definition of quadrilateral assume
convexness?

I have the impression that the definition of a kite assumes convexness.

All definitions of polygons assume "simple", i.e. non-intersecting sides, but
not convex.

On the other hand, everywhere I found the definition of a quadrilateral to be: a
four-sided polygon.

By having (at least) one pair of non-adjacent parallel sides, parallelgrams
and trapezoids are automatically convex.

But if we allow non-convex polygons, deltoids would include both kites and
arrowheads. Or maybe a kite can be an arrowhead?

Thanks for any help clearing this up for me.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Geometry discussion

Discussion Help