Subject:   Virtual vs hands-on
Author: jeuchler
Date: Mar 16 2003
Gayla

Our Principles of Technolgy students are beginning a "soon to be classic"
investigation of brigde design.

From attempting to balance a 1/2inch steel nut on a strip of paper over two
small cubes of wood, to reading about the nations infrastructure, to viewing
NOVA videos ("Superbridge"), to comparing photos of local and "foreign" bridges
to using West Point Bridge Building software to--finally-- actually building
and testing a scale model bridge in the lab, we try to hit the range of
approaches from virtual reality to just plain reality with (nearly) authentic
assessment.

It's an awesome topic which lends itself to all these approaches; I wish we
could do that for EVERY topic.

yes  no

Discussion Help