Subject:   ways to break down topics
Author: Alice
Date: Mar 27 2003
Hi,
Reading Gayla's note on "shorts" gave me an idea.

I think the following is the future of education.

What if we begin by putting existing material into outline form, starting with a
main topic and branching to increasingly varied lessons (on line or CD) relating
to the same subject and branching to other disciplines.

Roundtables like this could experiment with the software and make comments for
all to read and critique.

The goal would be a user friendly lesson, covering a standard, which individual
students could use to learn what they need, skip what they already know, fly off
to other disciplines, and get back on task when completed.
The format would be the same as some of the computer software my grandchildren
buy.

Since computers do non linear programming well, and Math Forum has already
compiled a fabulous list of great programs and urls,this would be a great place
to begin.
 The software could keep users on task and/or be programmed by individual
teachers if desired.

As an example, I cite the "Mission to Mars" project in the Glencoe Geometry
texbook as a prototype.
My students do the math that is suggested, and then take the research
suggestions given to "do their own thing" such as reasearch calendar origins,
space flights and other topics of their choosing.

The problem with doing this off line is that most students get carried away and
seldom get back on task without my input. It's fine for small classes, but
computer software could keep records and show them their progress on each part
while letting them do their thing while increasing their time on task and using
current technology that they love.
This would actually be like the Carmen San Diego games, the mystery games  and
others, but would begin on math standards.
It could even be used for assessments given the proper rubrics, and students
could see what they still needed to complete for the grade they want.

yes  no

Discussion Help