Subject:   traditional vs. nontraditional classroom
Author: gayla
Date: Mar 28 2003
I cannot say for certain why, but participating in this roundtable discussion
has heightened what was probably a latent question about traditional classroom
education vs. homeschooling.  Where technology would come into play with this
curiosity is the proportion of time spent on the computer in these polarized
learning environments.  If there is a computer available for the homeschooled
student(s), they have exclusive use of that computer, but there is probably
often a decrease in knowledge level of the teacher, or at least, there is less
outside control over the competency of the teaching and the credibility of
materials used in teaching.

Although I would certainly not be the person to create these models, it might be
interesting to use mathematical models to compare and research these differences
and predict trends with comparative uses in technology and all kinds of things.

Since this is so controversial (or am I imagining the controversy), there is
probably a lot of such research going on right already.  It seems to me that
this is a rich field to mine, not to mention Charter schools, and one has to
wonder if these might not just go away.  My impression would be that Charter
schools are going to ultimately flop (because of funding and such) but that
homeschooling is going to stick around.  There are surely math models and
research for the impact this has on funding for the traditional classroom.

I think this is one of the HUGE issues for education to deal with.  As times get
tougher, people are going to go to greater and greater lengths to try to isolate
their children from a they perceive to be a dangerous society, or school systems
in states of flux.  You are now in a competitive market of sorts.  Economic
models and game theory might be good angles of approach, because utility plays
an extraordinary role in these decisions made by parents from many angles.

yes  no

Discussion Help