Subject:   conceptual understanding
Author: Judy
Date: Apr 19 2003
I think that it is important to assess the benefits of technology in light of
the goals of our mathematics programs. Some of the web sites that have been
recommended are lacking in depth of understanding. When we steer our students to
a web site that is simply a quiz with answers and no explanations, then I don't
think it is worth the trip to the computer lab. The message that we give our
students is that this is meaningful mathematics and it is not.
I have worked for years to get my students into investigations that promote
connections to the real world and good conceptual understandings. My students
seem to enjoy math and score well on rigorous state tests. It is
counterproductive to then show them a web site with multiple choice questions
that aren't grounded in meaningful experiences.
Hopefully, there are better ways to review topics than this. Technology is
great, but it isn't always the best way.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Math 7
Bias