Subject:   high order skills
Author: Dennis
Date: May 20 2003
Thank you, George.  Your story resonates with my own experiences with students.
I tend to believe that the best lessons are ones that address the student on
multiple levels, working with "big ideas" while developing and exercising lower
level skills.

One low level skill I would say is a prerequisite to many higher order ideas is
counting.  Before young children can accurately count they may have a sense of
few and many, but are not prepared to work with the notion of quantity.  If you
get a different answer each time you count a group of objects, you are in no
position to discuss which of two groups of similar size has more.

yes  no

Discussion Help