Subject:   Epsilon-Delta Applet
Author: Gene
Date: Sep 6 2003
http://math.hws.edu/javamath/config_applets/EpsilonDelta.html

(This program may not yet be in Math Tools, but it will be shortly.)

My last shot at the definition of limit.
This is a nice visual presentation of the makings of the epsilon-delta
definition of limit which allows users to get a visceral feel for what's going
on, moving a cursor to find a delta to match a given epsilon.

I particularly like the companion applet you get by clicking on "Launch
EpsilonDelta?". It has a pull-down menu at the top and the last three examples
have no limits. I asked the students to write down what they can conclude from
those examples. The correct conclusion: THE GIVEN L IS NOT THE LIMIT. You still
have to show that NO L could be the limit.

yes  no

Discussion Help