Subject:   citations
Author: George
Date: Sep 10 2003
Joel,
I don't think the literature is that large yet. Many of the online tools are too
new. I think there's a pretty good literature on how teachers and students adapt
new technologies.

Some of Chip Bruce's work might be interesting to you.
Bruce, B., Peyton, J. K., & Batson, T. (Eds.). (1993). Network-based
classrooms: Promises and realities. Cambridge,  UK: Cambridge University
Press.

Bruce, B. C. (1993). Innovation and social change. In B. Bruce & J. K. Peyton &
T. Batson (Eds.), Network-based classrooms: Promises and realities (pp.
9-32). Cambridge,  UK: Cambridge University Press.

I also like John Seely Brown's book on the ways people adapt new tools and adapt
to new tools within their communities of practice. I think a lot of that is
applicable to teachers.

Brown, J. S., & Duguid, P. (2000). The social life of information. Boston, MA:
Harvard Business School Press.

I also think many of the issues regarding the use of these tools are still
developing. Expense is a factor; firewalls at schools are an issue. These
factors change with budgets and security fears.

Then there is the REAL issue. What do teachers want the tool to do, and how will
they use it?

-George

On Sep 04, 2003, Joel Duffin wrote:

My dissertation research asks the questions:

1. How do math teachers want to be able to adapt interactive online
resources?

2. What barriers do teachers find encounter when attempting to adapt interactive
online resources?

3. What are the characteristics of software tools that help teachers reuse and
adapt interactive online resources?

I have approached this primarily from a background of software reuse. I am
realizing more and more that these questions are probably more appropriately
situated within the context of teacher adoption of innovations and adaptation of
resources.

I assume that the literature in these areas is large and have begun looking
myself, but would appreciate pointers to any exemplary relevant research.

Thanks

yes  no

Discussion Help