Subject:   Whole lessons versus building blocks
Author: Craig Russell
Date: Sep 26 2003
On Sep 26, 2003, Joel Duffin wrote:

What are your thoughts as a teacher? Which would rather have, a prepared lesson
or a catalogue of pieces from which you can assemble lessons?

Does your answer change if we are talking about web based lessons that can be
easily adapted?

MY ANSWER:  I would much rather have the "catalog" (and in fact, that is how I'm
using the Math Tools I have seen).  The objectives I have for a particular
lesson, and the students in my classroom, don't fall into a
one-size-fits-all canned lesson activity!  Maybe my unwillingness to use
off-the-shelf lessons means I don't do as much supplementing... but if
something (a small piece) is useful, it can fit quite well into the "main
flow."

yes  no

Discussion Help