Subject:   Lower-order & higher-order knowledge and skills
Author: moursund
Date: Aug 3 2004
All math teachers have some insight into what constitutes lower-order math
knowledge and skills, and what constitutes higher-order math knowledge and
skills. We know that students need both lower-order and higher-order math
knowledge and skills.

Just for the fun of it, I often suggest to my student that an "interesting"
definition of lower-order is that if a computer can do it, than it is
lower-order.

This "contraversial" definition allows an interesting discussion of a wide range
of Math Tools. It suggests that we can spend much less time teaching
lower-order math knowledge and skills (replacing this with students learning
some Math Tools), and then spend the time that is saved on higher-order math
knowledge and skills.

I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on this.

yes  no

Discussion Help