Subject:   RE: Teaching Mathematics as a Science
Author: Judi
Date: Aug 8 2004
I agree with Alice!  Although I try to use more and more discovery in my
classroom every year, the kids seem to really enjoy the "labs" that they do.
Yes, some of them struggle in the beginning and are frustrated but after some
exposure and working together they do enjoy it.

I do believe that when they "find" the math on their own (with guidance when
needed) the students seem to remember the "rules".  I love the idea of naming
the conjectures!  What motivation for the kids!

Although some teachers in my district frown upon this, I keep it up.  I have had
many comments from parents during the year that their child understands the
concepts and can finally feel successful with math.

That says it all for me!

yes  no

Discussion Help