Subject:   Balancing the drill
Author: Craig
Date: Jun 11 2011
Note that I omitted "Kill."  I appreciate LFS's balanced response.

I think the problem originally identified by the principal who started this
strand was a teacher whose teaching repertoire seemed to consist only of drill.
Perhaps some sort of model similar to the one proposed by LFS would allow the
teacher to begin using different approaches in the classroom: exploration,
discovery, problem solving.  Several of the articles people have linked in this
thread have been stimulating for me.

I think the principal might also suggest that the teacher enroll in one of the
Math Forum professional development courses (the principal should pay for it, of
course, and maybe even offer some incentive); the "Noticing and Wondering"
technique they use can open a teacher's eyes to possibilities.

yes  no

Discussion Help