Subject:   RE: Teaching the Concept of Functions
Author: Jon
Date: Sep 24 2004
One of my favorite ways to teach about functions is to use the machine analogy.
There are several applets out there that use this. I just searched the web and
found the one cited below which is part of a comprehensive unit on functions. It
is worth a look.

http://www.learner.org/channel/courses/learningmath/algebra/session3/part_e/index.html

Also, I have found the machine analogy to be  very useful for explaining
composition of functions. Also, several years ago some memebers of Bolt, Beranek
and Newman's educational group developed a piece of software called function
machines that was very well done. I haven't seen it in years. If anyone reading
this knows of its' current state please contact me or post its' where abouts
here.

yes  no

Discussion Help